Thursday 6 May 2010

I *heart* Soreen

I am very glad that Soreen's marvellous fruity malt loaf is enjoying a surge in popularity recently. There have been references to it's familiar fruity fineness in the online media, clever recipes featuring it's amber tastiness in blogs, and chatter in the twittersphere about whether it's best toasted or un- (for the record, untoasted is my preference, with or without a thick layer of proper good butter).

My addiction peaked during "the student years"; I eat less of it now. But my affection for it - my weakness, if you will - has never waned. I love, love, love it.

Here's some I had some a few weeks ago. It didn't last long!

Soreen 23-4-10-1365
Soreen 23-4-10-1367

A few years ago, I tried to make make a fruity malt loaf that reproduced the flavours and wonderfully gooey texture of Soreen, but failed miserably. Even after a few days to mature in an airtight container, the loaf failed to develop the requisite texture. A tasty malt loaf but not what I was after.

If you have a recipe that comes close, please do share it with me!

I shall, of course, remain a faithful customer of the Soreen regardless. Even though I think their latest "Chew it. Then Do It" slogan is truly, truly, truly appalling. (Though at least not as creepy as the Gu puds one).

But it'd be nice to have a home-made alternative for those times when I feel like playing at domestic goddess for a brief spell!

6 comments:

aforkfulofspaghetti said...

I share your Soreen love, although it's ages since I last had some, I must admit...

Hope there are plenty of people to share their recipes for you to try. Sorry, but I don't have one :(

meemalee said...

"Chew it, then do it"?

Ew.

Catherine said...

There's a recipe I've used in Gary Rhodes' New British Classics. Let me know if you want it, I'll email it to you. It works very well - has much more malt extract in it than other recipes (most just have a couple of tbs and loads of black treacle, which doesn't really recreate the Soreen taste).

Catherine said...

Btw - haven't seen the Soreen advert yet, but the Gu one - just can't express how creepy I found it to, so I'm with you on that one.

Anonymous said...

My mum used to make a fruit loaf using All Bran soaked in milk which I thought was like Soreen when I was little, but I don't think it would be anywhere near to what you're looking for here sorry!

Kavey said...

Catherine, the one I tried before was Gary Rhodes, now I think of it. I like it, but it wasn't what I was looking for! Thanks, though!

Thanks everyone!